before you dump your rubbish' says the British Horse Society
unnecessary death of a beloved family pony earlier this month has
highlighted the dangers of dumping rubbish in fields says the British
Horse Society (BHS).
is believed that four year old miniature Shetland pony Malcolm died
after ingesting toxins from rubbish dumped in his field in Esher,
Surrey. The results of a post mortem are awaited to confirm the
exact cause of death.
the past few years people have been dumping rubbish in the paddocks
where Mrs Khor keeps her horses, ranging from garden waste to crockery
and car batteries. Pleas to house owners backing onto the land have
come to nothing, and local authorities have also been unwilling
owner, Mrs Khor, is understandably devastated and believes that
Malcolm's death has been caused by the rubbish.
"I feel angry and upset that a young pony has had his life
ended so suddenly. He became ill a few weeks ago, and four days
later he had to be put down because he was suffering so much. People
just don't seem to care. What they see as a field for getting rid
of their rubbish can actually be the home to innocent animals",
said Mrs Khor.
BHS works to educate not just horse owners on equine welfare, but
also raise awareness to the public of the consequences of their
actions, such as dumping rubbish. BHS Head of Welfare, Kerstin Alford,
said "Often people don't realise the potential harm their actions
can cause. However it seems in the above case, that, although the
offenders had been asked to stop, they carried on. By highlighting
this tragic incident it will hopefully bring awareness and prevent
a similar situation occurring".