Chris Kappler and Royal Kaliber Win the Budweiser American
the Only Double Clear Round
FL March 29, 2003 The $200,000 Budweiser American
Invitational had 30 horse and rider combinations attempt the course.
Steve Stephens designed the course, which had a triple combination
that was difficult for a number of horses.
the first round, one horse was eliminated and two entries voluntarily
withdrew. The sixth horse to compete was Eric Lamaze of Canada riding
Rosina. This pair produced the first clear round but unfortunately
had 2 time faults for a total of 2 faults on course. The course
at this point looked difficult with a slightly tight time.
13th horse to challenge the course was Priobert de Kalvarie with
Leslie Howard and they were the first combination to produce a clean
round. Others qualifying for the jump off included Markus Beerbaum
with Royal Discovery; Jeffery Welles and Ursa Major; Anne Kursinski
and Eros; Meredith Beerbaum and Shutterfly; Chris Kappler and Royal
Kaliber; Candice King and Gosse DOrion. Two riders representing
Germany husband and wife Markus and Meredith Beerbaum made
the jump off. The other 5 riders were representing the U.S.
the jump off, Leslie Howard and Priobert de Kalvarie were first
to go and had a stop, finishing with 12 faults plus 18 time faults.
Karen Cudmore was second in the order and had only 4 faults in a
time of 45.266 seconds with Conejo. Markus Beerbaum and Royal Discovery
were next and had 12 faults plus 14 time faults. Jeffery Welles
and Ursa Major followed with 8 faults and a time of 42.056 seconds.
Anne Kursinski and Eros had 4 faults and a time of 43.780 seconds.
Next in the order, Merdith Beerbaum and Shutterfly had 4 faults
also and a fast time of 42.409 seconds. Then, Chris Kappler and
Royal Kaliber had the first clean round in the jump off. Last to
go in the jump off was Candice King and Gosse DOrion
they produced 8 faults in a time of 47.556 seconds.
1. Chris Kappler on Royal Kaliber owner Kathy Kamine
& Chris Kappler
2. Meredith Beerbaum on Shutterfly owner Hyperion Farm
3. Anne Kursinski on Eros owner The Eros Group
4. Karen Cudmore on Conejo owner Blair Cudmore
5. Jeffery Welles on Ursa Major owner M/M Fred Croft
& High Dunes Farm
6. Candice King on Gosse DOrion owner Louisburg
7. Markus Beerbaum on Royal Discovery owner M/M Bertam
8. Leslie Howard on Priobert de Kalvarie owner Higher
9. Eric Lamaze on Rosina owner Stoneyhill
10. Kevin Babington on Carling King owner Kindle Hill
11. Norman Dello Joio on Glasgow owner The Glasgow
12. Jimmy Torano on Aguila owner Sir Ruly, Inc.