ISHR GUIDELINES FOR FOUNDATION STALLIONS
Preferred Stallions will be admitted into the main stud book on a permanent basis based on;
1) Ability to progress
2) get on the gound
3) to pass on color to foals from any mare
MEDALLIONS REGISTER OF MERIT may be acheived by:
1) Demonstrated abiltiy to show/perform or be a good using horse in the given area or discipline.
2) Points accrued at breed/open shows.
3) Get color and Achievements
4) Homozygosity by either testing (if available for this type color or pattern) or by demonstration of color on get.
5) Pedigree or breed type in ISHR or another recognized spotted registry.
6) Race ability, SI and/or races, speed events won.
FOUNDATION STALLION GUIDELINES
A) Useability and good, tractable disposition and color is the hall mark of the ISHR Foundation Stallion/Sire traits.
B) All stallions must be or become registered with the International Spotted Horse Registry Association before entry into the Foundation Book.
C) Any and all pending stallions must be approved by the President of ISHR and Maureen Sullivan, ISHR Representative and Foundation Book Secretary. Kim Sparks, ISHR Officer is in charge of putting all information into the book.
D) All approved Foundation Stallions will receive an FS Certificate from the ISHR home office with a permanant FS number.
FOUR FIELDS OF FOUNDATION STALLION ACCEPTANCE
1) Discipline and Characteristics
2) Pedigree (registry with ISHR or other recognized spotted registry)
3) Performance - Athletic - Race - Speed Ability
4) Homozygous or Heterozygous designation
DEFINITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE Characteristics / Standards for Type:
1) Horses: must stand 13.2 to 16.2hh at maturity
2) Draft: draft type of 15.0 to 18.2hh at maturity
3) Pony: miniature / sport or sport type pony
4) Superior Child Pony Sire: special designation
a) Disposition and willingness most important
b) Size from Miniature to 13.1hh
STALLION MUST EXHIBIT SPOTS and/or CHARACTERISTIC COAT PATTERN/TYPE
1) Appaloosa Pattern/Coat and Characteristics
a) Homozygous or Heterozygous designation
2) Paint/Pinto Pattern/Coat and Characteristics
a) Homozygous or Heterozygous designation
3) Pintaloosa Pattern/Coat with BOTH Characteristics/Coat of Paint/Pinto AND Appaloosa
a) Homozygous/Heterozygous to be determined by any possible tests, or by get on the ground
**LETHAL WHITE GENE Frame Overo's should be tested for LWG. Test results will be kept with registry. All Paint/Pinto pattern and types welcomed. (this test is not mandatory for inclusion as a Foundation Stallion)
**HOMOZYGOUS STALLIONS will receive the highest rating for the stud book as sires, as will stallions of good showing/using ability will receive high status.
BREED AND REGISTRY TYPE
1) Show/Halter Type:
a) Stallions with points at Halter
b) Versatility in show ring in Open or Breed Shows (this does not mean the super sizing or over training/nutrition of immature horses. ISHRA believes this weakens the horse and therefore the breed)
c)Conformation is also a factor
d) Stallion must be of a calm, tractable nature
2) Performance-Race-Speed Type
a) Any type of race horse
b) Any timed event racing type stallions (including Keyhole/Rope races)
c) Athletic stallions who have proved to be good using horses with extra speed
3) Sport Type
a)English type Conformation (racing/speed entered here also)
b) Race - Eventing - Dressage - HUS and EP
c) Working Hunter and combined training or combined Driving Horses
1) good place for Warmblood type horses
2) Warmblood crosses, Draft Crosses and TB type horses
4) Trail - Endurance - Pleasure - Family Type
a) Able to be good using horse with endurance characteristics
b) Good, calm disposition
c) Family type horse that any/all members of the family can ride or drive in a variety of recreational ways
5) Draft/Draft Cross Types
a) Draft type stallions must exhibit a Draft conformation/size
b) Ability to work as a draft horse in any area
c) Ride and/or Drive
d) May also be used as a sport horse type sire
e) bone density of at least 7 1/2"
f) Weight at least 1200 lbs.
g) Height at least 15.0hh
1)smaller Draft types may be registered in the pony area as using ponies
6) Pony Type/Division
a) All Pony sizes allowable for sires
b) Smaller breeds/types also allowed
c) Sizes from Miniature to Halflinger types
1) further Division as to color/pattern type
2) Miniature Appaloosa type - Miniature Pinto type and Miniature Pintaloosa type
7) Shetland Type/Division
a)Shetland cross type with the Welsh type with same color/coat pattern designations
b) Other divisions will be the same as for horses; show, performance, etc...
8) Sport Pony Type/Division
a) Welsh or Cob type pony
1) Connemara, New Forest, etc...
b) Sport Pony Cob type with emphasis on disposition and willingness
9) Pony Special Type/Division
a)Child's Pony type
1) must be of good nature
2) tractability and ability of all ages of child to easily handle
3) ride or use
4) either Leadline/Ponied by adult or with experienced older child
b) Pony Stallions will be given higher rating for their kind and gentle nature, trainability and handling ease
1) this is the most important quality for these pony stallions because of the high probability that they will be handled and/or ridden by children
****NO MULES OR DONKEYS WILL BE ACCEPTED INTO FOUNDATION BOOK
*copyright material for ISHR as of January 1, 2001
* HORSES BELOW ARE: #1223 - Star's Midnight Rebel #AP23 - Knight Stars Shaboom #1196 - Galaxy Warrior