BHS Warns Of Dangers Of Grass Cuttings
the spring grass beginning to grow gardeners are once again mowing
British Horse Society is appealing to gardeners not to dispose of
cuttings where equines can eat them. A pile of grass clippings is
very attractive to horses, ponies and donkeys but once eaten can
prove fatal. Eating grass clippings can cause colic, and if the
grass begins to ferment it can cause a lethal build up of gasses
within the gut. This causes the animal severe pain and damage to
the digestive system, resulting in a horrible death.
indiscriminate disposal of lawn mowings has already cost the lives
of three equines in the South East.
garden waste should be disposed of in a responsible manner, and
not dumped where grazing animals may find it.