IRISH FAIL TO GET ROLLING AT LA BAULE
A disappointing first round of 32 penalties knocked the Irish team out of the Samsung Nations Cup competition at La Baule, France, today.
Cameron Hanley, riding <Ballaseyr Twilight> had eight faults, Dermott Lennon had 12 on <Liscalgot>, and Peter Charles also had 12 faults on <Traxdata Carnavelley>. The fourth member of the Irish team, Billy Twomey, riding <Brokers Caramia>, suffered a fall during his round, and therefore became the discard score.
This put the Irish out of the second round, along with the Swiss, who also racked up 32 penalties, and the Germans, who had 36 penalties.
Penalties after Round One
GT. BRITAIN 16
France won the Samsung Nations Cup after the completion of Round Two. The final scores for the six qualifying teams in Round Two were as follows:
1) FRANCE 12 penalties, Time 255.15
2) BELGIUM 16 penalties, Time 261.58
3) ITALY 28 penalties, Time 260.39
4) GT. BRITAIN 28 penalties, Time 261.48
5) NETHERLANDS 33 penalties, Time 263.93
6) SPAIN 49 penalties, Time 275.75
Full results from La Baule website