IRISH TAKE CLOSE SECOND IN ITALIAN NATIONS
After a shaky start to the Nations Cup season,
with two disappointingresults at La Baule, France, and St. Gallen, Switzerland,
an Irish teamtoday (June 8) once again showed the sparkling form that helped
win the 2000Nations Cup series.
In the drama-packed final round at the Pavarotti International Show atModena,
Italy, Ireland tied on just eight faults with a strong German team,but had to
concede the lead on time penalties alone.
Showing the same form as he did in the 2000 Series, 32 year-old US-basedIrish
rider Kevin Babington, originally from Carrick-on-Suir, stole the showwith a
superb double clear round on the Irish-bred Carling King, while PeterCharles
and Dermott Lennon each lowered one pole for four faults apiece.Jessica Kurten
had eight faults in the first round and four in the second,and therefore became
the discard score for the Irish team.
Ireland competes in the Nations Cup series again in Aachen, Germany next
weekend (12-17 JUNE 2001).
CSIO MODENA ITALY 7-10 JUNE 2001
SAMSUNG NATIONS CUP Int. H. 1.60 Team Competition
RESULT JUNE 8
1) GERMANY Total 8 Penalties Time 218.94 Prize Money 30,000,000 Lira
2) IRELAND Total 8 Penalties Time 225.02 Prize Money 25,000,000 Lira
LISCALGOT; LENNON Dermott, Faults 4/0 Time 75.52
PAAVO N; KURTEN Jessica, Faults 8/4 Time 76.03
CARLING KING; BABINGTON Kevin, Faults 0/0 Time 75.93
TRAXDATA CORRADA; CHARLES Peter, Faults 0/4 Time 73.57
3) HOLLAND Total 26 Penalties Time 240.19 Prize Money 20,000,000 Lira
4) FRANCE Total 27 Penalties Time 228.12 Prize Money 12,500,000 Lira
5) SWITZERLAND Total 28 Penalties Time 236.25 Prize Money 7,500,000 Lira
6) ITALY Total 33 Penalties Time 241.01 Prize Money 5,000,000 Lira
8) GT. BRITAIN