IRISH TAKE FIRST, THIRD and FIFTH IN HICKSTEAD GRAND PRIX
SHOW JUMPING RESULT: CSIO HICKSTEAD ENGLAND 25-29 JULY 2001
Irish riders Kevin Babington and Peter Charles took First and Third places, respectively, at the prestigious Hickstead British Grand Prix this afternoon (Thursday), while Ireland's Dermott lennon took Fifth.
The two Irish riders battled it out with German ace Rene Tebbel in a six-way jump-off, but Kevin Babington, from Carrick-on-Suir, slid past the German by fractions of a second to take the £3,000 First Place prize money.
Last year (2000) the Grand Prix was won by British Rider John Whitaker on Virtual Village Calvaro FC, while the highest Irish place was taken by Cian O'Connor on <Normandy>, who came Sixth. However, Whitaker finished Sixth this year, on the same horse.
In 2000, though, the Irish team won the Samsung Nations Cup competition at Hickstead, and also the King George V Gold Cup, both of which are yet to run at Hickstead 2001.
The Irish team for tomorrow (Friday's) Nations Cup is:
RESULT: THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX, HICKSTEAD JULY 26
1) Kevin Babington; Carling King (IRL) Faults 0.00 Jump-Off Time 59.05 Prize Money £3,000
2) Rene Tebbel: Radiator (GER) Faults 0.00 Jump-Off Time 59.47 Prize Money £1,500
3) Peter Charles; Carnavelley (IRL) Faults 0.00 Jump-Off Time 60.45 Prize Money £1,000
4) Stanny Van Paesschen; O de Pomme (BEL) Faults 4.00 Jump-Off Time 57.20 Prize Money £1,000
5) Dermott Lennon; Garronturton Lady (IRL) Faults 8.00 Jump-Off Time 60.04 Prize Money £750
6) John Whitaker; Virtual Village Calvaro FCS (GBR) Faults 8.00 Jump-Off Time 60.46 Prize Money £600