| BIG BEN PROJECT FOR THE LOVE
OF A HORSE
Perth, Ontario, where Ian Millar makes his
home, is honouring one of Canada's most successful partnerships in Canadian
sport and arguably the greatest team in equestrian history. Millar and Big Ben,
the 17.3hh Belgian Warmblood who died in December 1999 at age 23, won hearts of
a nation and made their mark in the equestrian world.
- Three Olympic appearances .
- Two gold medals at Pan American Games .
- Five consecutive top eight World Cup finishes
including the first back to back wins in 1988 and 1999 .
- More than 40 grand prix victories .
- Six derby wins in eight years at Spruce
Meadows Nationals .
- Represented Canada in more than 30 Nation's
- Won the world's richest grand prix twice, the
du Maurier International .
- First North American show jumper to win more
than $1.5 million in prize money .
- Millar and Big Ben inducted into Canada's
Sports Hall of Fame.
As a lasting tribute, Perth's Chamber of
Commerce has committed to erecting an arresting bronze statue of Millar and Big
Ben in a picturesque park setting along the banks of the Tay River in beautiful
downtown Perth, not far from Millar's home and Ben's final resting place. The
life-size statue will depict Ian and Ben in full flight over a 5 and-a-half
The cost of this project is approximately
$400,000.00. Perth is offering citizens, horse enthusiasts and corporations
across the country, the opportunity to contribute and commemorate this
successful equestrian partnership in three different ways.
- A donation payable to the Town of Perth/Big
Ben Project. Tax receipts will be provided for donations of $10.00 or more.
- A purchase of a stunning full-colour
"Giclee" watercolour print of Big Ben, created by photographic
artist, Larry Ostrom. There are 500 limited edition prints available. You can
purchase an unframed print for $500.00 or a framed print for $770.00
- a purchase of a miniature bronze of the final
statue by sculptor, John Mathews. Only nine of these stunning pieces will be
cast. They will be 31 inches long and 28 inches high, including the base, at a
cost of $30,000.00 each.
Any contribution of $300.00 or more will be
recognized by a plaque or name plate near the statue in the park.
Contact/ mail contributions to:
Carol Quattrocchi, General Manager,
Perth Chamber of Commerce,
34 Herriott St. Perth,
Ontario,K7H 1T2 613- 267-3200